Kansas City, MO
Coverage from Startland News: Smart KCMO takes holistic approach to digital-physical infrastructure, city manager says
Featured in the Kansas City Star:
Kansas City is already ahead in smart city innovation. Here’s how it can push further
About the Summit
Kansas City, Mo. is often recognized for its work in the smart city space. Many of these initiatives are naturally regional in scope. Governments throughout the metro are making progress on projects that fit within the broader category of “smart cities." This event is aimed at fostering greater connectivity between innovators in city governments across the metro, discussing the role states can play in smart cities and the innovation economy, and broadening participation in region-wide innovation initiatives.
This day-long roundtable is part of the Digi.City Connects series, which hosts thoughtful discussions in key metropolitan areas across the United States with local lawmakers and experts about the policy implications of smart city technologies. It has been organized locally by the Enterprise Center in Johnson County (ECJC) and KC Digital Drive, as part of the Gigabit City Summit event series.
Targeted toward lawmakers and policymakers in the bistate area, we'll share the breadth of activity in the digital evolution of our community, how city and state governments can cooperate for the highest impact, and how you can get involved in our programs in 2018.
- 8:00 - 9:00 - Light breakfast and registration
- 9:00 - 11:00 - Welcome and Digi.Cities Introduction, Sly James and Troy Schulte; NSF Smart + Connected Communities, MetroLab Network, Whiteboard 2 Boardroom
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Lunch and networking
- 12:00 - 12:30 - Chelsea Collier Keynote: Trends and Opportunities for Smart Regions
- 12:30 - 2:00 - Regional CIO Panel w/ Q&A
- 2:00 - 2:15 - Break
- 2:15 - 4:00 - Regionalism and Smart Cities: KC Digital Drive, Mid-America Regional Council, Greater KC Chamber of Commerce, KC Area Transportation Authority, Civic Council
- 4:00 - 5:30 - Cocktail reception
Speakers, presenters and panelists to date include:
Chelsea Collier (Digi.City), Troy Schulte (KCMO), Meghan Houghton (NSF, remote), Aaron Deacon (KC Digital Drive), Alan Howze (Kansas City, KS), Tony Luppino (UMKC), Jim Baxendale (UMKC Innovation Center), Alan Howze (KCK), Vicki Irey (Overland Park), and Shawn Whitcomb (Olathe), Joe Reardon (GKC Chamber of Commerce), Jewel Scott (Civic Council), Jameson Auten (KCATA).